     Re: [nocol-users] error in loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 01:26:48PM -0800, Ron Parker wrote:
> Hello.  What is this, and how do I resolve it?  Thanks.
>
> Subject:
>         Cron <nocol@secure> [ -x /usr/nocol/bin/genweb.pl ] &&
>         /usr/nocol/bin/genweb.pl >/dev/null
>
> perl: error in loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open

Sounds like your perl binary was dynamically linked with the crypt
libraries yet your machine doesn't have it installed -- you might
be able to verify this by doing an "ldd" on your perl binary.  (What
sort of machine are you on?)

The "easiest" way to fix this is probably to put crypt libraries out on
the box, though some people like to strip things like this out when they
harden an operating system.  Second alternative is to recompile perl and
make sure libcrypt is statically linked in...

(Some of the perl gurus might be of better help, though)

Russell

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell@loosenut.com

Do not read this fortune under penalty of law.  Violators will be
prosecuted.  (Penal Code sec. 2.3.2 (II.a.))