     Re: [snips-users] hostmon falling over / snipstv/eventselect segmentation fault:

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 06:36:09PM +0100, Robert Lister wrote:
> [...]
>
> I know long term we would be better moving off snips as although it's pretty
> much developed and does what I need, it is a dead product.
>
> Last time I looked at this, there wasn't really much out there that has
> similar functionality and is as lightweight and simple. (i.e, I suppose we
> could use nagios but that's overkill for what I want, and it seemed messy
> getting it to work across multiple boxes, but things may have improved with
> it since then.)
>
> Is anybody still using snips? Am I the only one? :)
>
> Rob

Actually, I still use SNIPS, as things like BigBrother take too much
effort (in my opinion) and tend to fall over a lot easier than SNIPS
(and aren't as easily extendable).  For the most part, SNIPS "just
works" for me.

I've not tried going 64-bit on NOCOL, however, though I've been building
a new 64-bit Solaris machine... I might be inclined to check it out,
though.

(Apologies for the delayed reply here... life has kind of "taken over"
recently)

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut com

"We have always been quite clear that Win95 and Win98 are not the systems
 to use if you are in a hostile security environment. We recommend Windows
 NT for those environments."           -- Paul Leach <paulle at MICROSOFT COM>