     Re: Reporting and Graphing in nocol

One feature that I was hoping would be nice (it wasn't around in
previous versions, I don't believe it is in 4.2), is the ability to type
'nocol -s' or some other flag that will print out the current nocol
screen (perhaps another flag for long format), that I can pipe into a
script, and manipulate for other purposes (e.g. finger info, or to hook
it up with a multipart/mixed html script for realtime updates), etc.

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Vikas Aggarwal wrote:

> Does any nocol user have customized reporting or graphing tools that they
> would like to share with us ?
>
> Reporting
> ---------
>  I am looking for any tool that will run daily/weekly/monthly and list the
> top 10 down events (in terms of time). Perhaps print out graphs for these
> reports.
>
> Graphing
> --------
>  We can either graph the data that is in the logs (time vs. value) or else
> we can have 'noclogd' write out these values in a separate file which is
> not as verbose as the logs (is this worth it. Any perf gain over parsing
> the logs each time and extracting the data from these ?)
>
> Note that the nocol data is 'quantized' into the 4 levels. It greatly
> reduces the amount of data that is stored especially for large sites.
> However, we lose some granularity and it is not 'pretty'.
>
> So far I have been against telling each monitor to write out the data from
> each poll and keeping track of it. For a site monitoring 1000 interfaces,
> this becomes a lot of data, and i think that the quantization is actually
> a good thing.
>
> Comments ? Any work that others might have done that they would like to
> share ? Any changes to the web interface released with v4.2 ?
>
> 	-vikas

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Senior Systems Administrator