     Re: [nocol-users] Hostmon-client connection

On 02/02, steve rader wrote:
>  > From: Jason Lavoie
>  > We also, during this process, wrote a udp server and client for this.
>  > This is so our data collection program (which writes the hostmon data to
>  > a database) can poll hosts in parallel.  This part is part of our final
>  > transition away from using nocol (but we'll still keep our hacked
>  > hostmond).
> Do tell: away from nocol... to what?!  I'm currently doing
> massive improvements to Rover4.

We've built a monitoring system to do what we want.  It has similar
overall structure to nocol (monitors, viewers, actions, etc.) but is
backened to a SQL db with a much more generalized approach.  Since our
business grows and changes so fast, we didn't want to be limited too
much by early assumptions.

Right now, that is its major drawback -- it is too flexible.  We plan to
come up with better docs and some example configs in the near future.
Once we finish a few more items on the TODO list, we'll release it for

For now, we've put up the UDP server and client (other sections are just
stub links).  Here's a link to it at the head programmer's site:

Feel free to send comments or questions (regarding this software:)
to either of us.  He's not on the nocol-users list, so you'd have to
email directly.  As always, we'd appreciate hearing if you end up using
this in your own environment.

"What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a        | Jason Lavoie
 wall that people have stopped banging their heads against?" | jason@mint.net
     --Larry Wall in <1992Aug26.184221.29627@netlabs.com>    |