     Re: anyone out there

then Jonathan A. Zdziarski's all..

> lots of folks have switched to the commercial software 'netcool' which
> runs about $100,000 or so.  it's much nicer, but obviously nocol has its
> own value in being free.  i would imagine most smaller isps are still
> using NOCOL.  We still have it running here even though we use netcool for
> most of the network.

$100,000?! Whoa, thats HUGE. Must be some grate software, but I really bet
its not something some good OSS muscle couldnt beat!

> I still maintain bgpmon as well.

Cool.

Well, I dont mind nocol rightnow, getting more familiar with it these
days. Have been looking around at a few things, not sure if we want
to switch. With 3 people on call (we cant guarantee our pages get thru
so we have to page 3 people), our pages are getting slow when there's
6 pages for one single event (DSL line goes down or something).

What has everyone else tried? Anyone tried SYSMON? or NetSaint? I guess
there arent too many packages out there for monitoring, but there has
to be something.

We're thinking of making some extremely object oriented network pluggable
(ooh buzwords) type network monitor Some Day When We Get Some Time. I know
this aint gonna happen, so it would be easier to modify something that
already exits. For us we have the advantage of Nocol being familiar to us
but Im wondering if there's something else outthere that is that much
further ahead in what we want to ad to it.

Really, I spose one thing that would help majorly is a paging scheduler,
as well as a criticality filter. The crit filter would sit before
the paging scheduler and just figure out if at 3am this "quake server 2 down!"
is really importan enuf to wake people up for, or if its something that
can wait for a reminder page some hours later. As well, reminder pages for
crit things when it hasnt been fixed STILL, 30 min later after the original
critical would be good. For super important stuff, sending out the same
page twice would be a good ability as well due to the nature of our paging
network that we use, as well as the impenetrability of the subway system. ;)

Has anyone worked on hierarchical alert systems? Where did you put it,
inside nocol, or in the paging interface? Anyone have a paging scheduler
around?

The pager filter system could be done with some nice regexp rules, but i
can see those getting complicated and nasty realfast. Would seem nicer to
make some sort of tree diagram interface for the hierarchical system.
I can see that there would eventually need to be some sort of
"if situation = 1 or 2, then page situation, dont page existing crit types
5 6 and 7" to allow proper hierchicalizations - some boolean logic is
required in the statements.

Just wondering what the existing state of all this is now. I know this is
a list specifically for nocol, but I dont know if there is a good general
forum for system monitoring tools that I should be on (please do tell).

Thanks!

/kc