     Re: anyone out there

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> I think what's happened is that development is pretty much at a
> standstill.  I'm not saying "Dammit Vikas!  Get this thing going again!",
> just observing...

I also do not want to be critical as I've grabbed other pieces from NOCOL
in making my own system.  I'd rather say "Thank-you Vikas".

> Anyhow, in our case we're running a few versions behind current, and the
> local mods are so heavy I couldn't even imagine upgrading.  In talking to
> other people that use Nocol, I've found the same thing.  The changes are
> broad and somewhat hackish, but they work, and have the side-effect of
> locking you into what you've got.

There were always tweaks I had to put in to get nocol to work the way I
wanted too.

> I think there are a few things that would make a new nocol better would
> be:
>
> -drop the 'hostmon' perl client and use something like ucd-snmp to gather
> host stats.  Include any extra agent functions that don't come with it but
> are useful.
> -db support really seems like a wonderful idea.  Don't forget something to
> check that your db is responding as expected.
> -more snmp monitoring stuff, with configs for common equipment
> -since you're already looking at the status of interfaces, why not get a
> count and add a mrtg-like (but dynamically generate) usage graph for the
> interfaces.
> -hostmon-like alarms on interfaces when a threshold is reached.
> -standardize on one pager package to allow for easier 'out of the box'
> setup.  Qpage has been great for us (www.qpage.org).

The database idea is indeed a good one and I'll have to think about it for
my package remstats.

--
"Life is much too important to be taken seriously."
Thomas Erskine        <thomas.erskine-dated-sig@crc.ca>        (613) 998-2836