     [snips-users] Build problem with Solaris

There appears to be a problem with the Makefile for the perl-module in
SNIPS-1.0 under Solaris when using gcc to compile.

Here is the relevant output from make:

Running Mkbootstrap for SNIPS ()
chmod 644 SNIPS.bs
LD_RUN_PATH="/lib:/home/ean/work/snips-1.0/lib" cc -o
blib/arch/auto/SNIPS/SNIPS.so -R/lib -R/home/ean/work/snips-1.0/lib -G
SNIPS.o    -L/usr/local/lib -L/home/ean/work/snips-1.0/lib -lsocket
-lnsl -lresolv -lsnips
sh: cc: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`blib/arch/auto/SNIPS/SNIPS.so'
Current working directory /home/ean/work/snips-1.0/perl-module
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

This is the ld phase I believe and is caused because the 'cc' command
included with Solaris (/usr/ucb/cc) is a stub for the SUN C compiler
(which costs extra) and will only produce an error message.

I have a work around to solve this problem: edit the Makefile and change
the two instaces of 'LD = cc' to 'LD = gcc' and (optionally) remove the
-KPIC from CCCDLFLAGS since gcc doesn't recognize it. This would
probably cause problems if one was using the SUN c compiler so it should
not be considered a fix for this problem.

Maybe someone who knows more about autoconf could add a 'Which loader to
use?' question to set this via the Configure script.

--
Ean Kingston (eankingston at home com)
     I recently lost my job due to downsizing. If you are