     Re: [snips-users] hostmon-client.linux & /proc/

Dan,

I'd turn the architectural question around just a bit.

1.  Yes, this is interesting.  In Linux, the there are several dynamics
in the /proc neighborhood and things are not entirely settled.  APM,
advanced power management, is apparently being deprecated and ACPI is
replacing it ... somehow I don't think that's the last word.  And not
every computer's BIOS groks either so there are frequently things that
don't work the same from one machine to the next.

2.  The modularization boundary should be a MIB.  Rather than tailor
snips to read /proc directly, it would be better to manufacture a client
app that translates /proc data into SNMP MIB format.  (there have been
some efforts in this regard previously, but I don't have a trace).