     RE: [snips-users] portmon with ssl support.

Title: RE: [snips-users] portmon with ssl support.

  Why not compile it as a separate binary, let's say sslmon or sportmon?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ean Kingston [mailto:ean at hedron org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 9:51 PM
To: nocol-users at navya com
Subject: [snips-users] portmon with ssl support.

Folks,

I needed to add https monitoring to our monitoring system at work so I adapted portmon to work through ssl. It (obviously) needs the openssl libraries to compile with and it doesn't allow non-ssl connections anymore.

I didn't have a lot of time so I wasn't able to make it an option to the existing portmon, though I'm hoping to do so in my spare time.

Attached (I hope) are diffs for the three files I modified. These are differenced from the 1.2beta2 package of Snips.

The files to patch (from the extracted to directory) are: include/portmon.h portmon/main.c portmon/portmon.c

There are no additional variables for ssl handshake timing or validating server certificates. This just does what portmon did but through ssl.

Hopefully I will have a cleaner implementation that allows for portmon/portmon+ssl support in one tool at some time in the future. Until then, these patches might be useful to someone.

I don't have updates to the makefile because I did the compile of my ssl portmon by hand.

COLT Telecom Espana S.A.
Oficina Registrada en: Telemaco, 5 28027 Madrid
Tel. +34 91 789 9000

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.