     Re: [snips-users] portmon with ssl support.

I was able to produce the portmon executable by making adjustments on the gcc flags,
however I'm now getting the following errors.

myserver# /usr/local/snips/bin/portmon.test
portmon.test- Reading global config file /usr/local/snips/etc/snips.conf
(portmon.test).. locked pid-file, started new process (pid=71346)
select(): Bad file descriptor
fatal error, checkports returned -1, exiting
portmon.test: removing data, pid file.... Done

Ean Kingston wrote:

Allan P. Magmanlac said:

Hi,
I applied these patch to snips and run the following command and
getting errors. I know these errors apparently cannot find the specifiec
functions?

I belive those subroutines are in libssl.o. You would need to add -lssl to your gcc line.

Any ideas? I'm just planning to rebuild portmon without rebuilding snips.
How did you do the manual compilation. I'm using openssl OpenSSL 0.9.7d.

I built it with OpenSSL 0.9.7c so I can't imagine there would be much of a difference.

My manual compiliation was done by first building snips in the normal way.
Then I applied my patches and ran make from the portmon directory.

I didn't include changes to the Makefile because I manually edited the one
in the portmon directory (which gets generated by the Configure script.
The changes I made are:

25c25
< OS_LIBS=-lsocket -lnsl -lresolv
---

OS_LIBS=-lsocket -lnsl -lresolv -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto

79c79
< CFLAGS = -O $(SNIPSDEFS) $(OS_CFLAGS) -I$(SRCDIR)/include
---

CFLAGS = -O $(SNIPSDEFS) $(OS_CFLAGS) -I$(SRCDIR)/include

-I/usr/local/ssl/include

Your location for ssl library may vary.

Thanks.

myserver# pwd;ls
/usr/local/src/snips-1.1/portmon
Makefile        main.c          portmon-confg   portmon.h
Makefile.am     main.c.orig     portmon.c       portmon.h.orig
Makefile.bak    main.c.patch    portmon.c.orig  portmon.h.patch
Makefile.mid    main.o          portmon.c.patch portmon.o

myserver# gcc -O -DSNIPS -DFREEBSD4 -I/usr/local/src/snips-1.1/include
main.o portmon.o -L/usr/local/src/snips-1.1/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib
-lcrypt -lsnips -o portmon
main.o: In function `main':
main.o(.text+0x16): undefined reference to `SSL_load_error_strings'
main.o(.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `SSL_library_init'
main.o(.text+0x23): undefined reference to `SSLv23_client_method'
main.o(.text+0x2b): undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_new'
portmon.o: In function `checkports':
portmon.o(.text+0x1aa): undefined reference to `SSL_new'
portmon.o(.text+0x530): undefined reference to `SSL_set_fd'
portmon.o(.text+0x567): undefined reference to `SSL_set_connect_state'
portmon.o(.text+0x120b): undefined reference to `SSL_free'
portmon.o: In function `send_hoststring':
portmon.o(.text+0x12c8): undefined reference to `SSL_write'
portmon.o: In function `process_host':
portmon.o(.text+0x14ac): undefined reference to `SSL_write'
portmon.o(.text+0x14f7): undefined reference to `SSL_read'
portmon.o(.text+0x17ae): undefined reference to `SSL_write'

All these errors indicate that you need to link in the ssl library with -lssl added to your gcc line.

Ean Kingston wrote:

Folks,

I needed to add https monitoring to our monitoring system at work so I
adapted portmon to work through ssl. It (obviously) needs the openssl
libraries to compile with and it doesn't allow non-ssl connections
anymore.

I didn't have a lot of time so I wasn't able to make it an option to the
existing portmon, though I'm hoping to do so in my spare time.

Attached (I hope) are diffs for the three files I modified. These are
differenced from the 1.2beta2 package of Snips.

The files to patch (from the extracted to directory) are:
include/portmon.h
portmon/main.c
portmon/portmon.c

There are no additional variables for ssl handshake timing or validating
server certificates. This just does what portmon did but through ssl.

Hopefully I will have a cleaner implementation that allows for
portmon/portmon+ssl support in one tool at some time in the future. Until
then, these patches might be useful to someone.

I don't have updates to the makefile because I did the compile of my ssl
portmon by hand.