     Re: [snips-users] hostmon falling over / snipstv/eventselect segmentation fault:

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:26:17PM -0700, Russell Van Tassell wrote:

> ...sounds like the perl module might need to be recompiled on that
> platform, then?  (or, by "fall over," do you mean the aforementioned
> segfault?)

Yes, the segfault is the "fall over". It has been recompiled (but with a few
warnings that we can't get rid of in the perl module.)

> > As our monitoring is made up of several machines there are other problems.
> >
> > The SNIPS database files, and RRD files generated on 32bit machines are not
> > readable by the 64bit machine. I haven't yet got round to fixing this, but
> > it would involve exporting the database files as text on the 32bit boxes as
> > text with display_snips_datafile / rrdtool dump and then re-import on the
> > 64bit box.
>
> ...an issue with RRD Tool or B-DB?  In any case, yeah, rrddump and such
> should help you out, there...

It is known that RRD files are platform specific and you cannot copy them to
other architectures. I think the same is true of the db files.

> > Unfortunately I can't get my re-import script for SNIPS data to work on
> > either the 32bit machines or the 64bit machines. Maybe something I'm doing
> > wrong. The SNIPS Perl API seems a bit vaguely documented in places, and
> > doesn't give any good examples of how to use pack_event correctly. (i.e.,
> > what you need to present it with and how, in which order.)
> >
> > If I can't get this to work then I will have to rewrite some stuff (in perl)
> > that uses the SNIPS data files to use the text files instead (snipstv and
> > snipsweb). This is easy enough to do I suppose, just takes a bit of time.
>
> ...I'd expect this to be RRD native, myself (and yeah, I'm painfully
> aware of how bad the documentation may be, in both arenas).

I can't seem to get anywhere with it (on old 32bit boxes or new 64bit box)
so any pointers you can give me with the importing of events -> SNIPS DB
would be useful.

> > *               info    |/usr/bin/logger^-t^snipslogd^-p^local3.info
>
> Ouch... are you sure there's not an ACL in the way, by chance?  I'll have
> to look a bit closer on this to comment intelligently, as honestly this
> part tends to be a "set and forget" on my part...

Definately no ACLs in the way as I can see the UDP packets arriving with
tcpdump, and the new server has the same IP address as the old server.
(Partly for this reason, that I didn't want to have to go round and update a
zillion cisco ACLs and configs for things, and the box also happens to be
used as a DNS server and NTP server all over the place, so changing its IP
would have caused needless pain!)

I thought it was ACLs too, but apparently not. Spent a lot of time thinking
along those lines, (I tried a permit udp any any!)

You are right in that I've never had such problems before!

> > Longer term I will probably need to replace SNIPS with something else (as we
> > will shortly have more requirements like IPv6 Monitoring and more precise
> > latency/jitter/packet loss monitoring.
>
> Check out "smokeping" (also from Tobias), not sure if it'll fit your
> needs... and it's relatively easy to setup and configure -- even for
> network engineers.  ;-)

I've heard of smokeping and others say it's pretty good - I think last time
I looked it did pretty good graphing but alerting wasn't there - maybe
that's now included.

> Yep... I've, personally, been looking in to using cacti (though again
> that's largely for general statistics gathering rather than any real
> level of monitoring).  The problem there, like most freeware, is the
> (lack of) good documentation... and, of course, templating a whole new
> system all over again.

Yeah I looked at cacti and thought it was cool. It looked very pretty,
and I was attracted to shiny pretty things. I will have a proper look at it
when I get time... :)

> Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, a shoulder to cry on,
> etc... ;-)  I'm facing a lot of the same issues, here, though I've not
> been so compelled to try to do the 64-bit'ness migration on our systems
> yet (though again, I might try "just to do so" soon).

Yes. Let me know if you want to see any of the code that we have so far
modified for 64bit. (Although things are going to be slightly different on
solaris no doubt.)

Rob

--
Robert Lister   -   London Internet Exchange    -  http://www.linx.net/
robl at linx net   -   tel: +44 (0)20 7645 3510    -  RL786-RIPE