     Re: nsmon question

nah he's got it right; sorry my overlook; if you want to monitor 'news'
you need to supply the ip address of the news machine (if you are doing
dns on it as well).  It measures the machine's named status, not the
accuracy of hosts on the machine.

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 jhenders@bogon.com
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27/98, TTSG <ttsg@ttsg.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I had problems with the new 'AUTH' statements; even when my servers were
> > > authoritative they would come up.  I removed the AUTH statement and it
> > > works OK (of course you lose the functionality that the AUTH statement
> > > gives you)
> > >
> > 	I think you've got it implemented wrong.
> >
> > 	What this says is "I have a domain, istar.ca .  The first server
> > thats authoritative for is is called mail, its at 154.11.136.66.  The
> > second server is called news, its at 154.11.136.66.  The third.............."
> >
> > 	I believe it only has the ability to tell you that the server is
> > authoritative for the domain, not hosts in the domain.
>
> Hmm. I'm not disputing you're correct in this assessment, but it's
> curious that nsmon has been running like this for a week or so and only
> today did these go critical at the same time the nameserver in question
> is returning non-authoritive answers for those hosts.
>
> The man page does seem to imply you are correct though. I wonder why
> they only went critical today.
>
> Would anyone else find the way I thought it was supposed to work more
> useful?
>

> --
>   Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Senior Systems Administrator
Netrail, Inc.