     Re: nsmon question

> Hmm. I'm not disputing you're correct in this assessment, but it's
> curious that nsmon has been running like this for a week or so and only
> today did these go critical at the same time the nameserver in question
> is returning non-authoritive answers for those hosts.
>
> The man page does seem to imply you are correct though. I wonder why
> they only went critical today.
>
> Would anyone else find the way I thought it was supposed to work more
> useful?

	I think it has to do with the parity between "AUTH" and DNS
SOA records.

> server 204.141.98.1
Default Server:  valhalla.stormking.com
Address:  204.141.98.1

> set type=soa
> ariesorchids.com.
Server:  valhalla.stormking.com
Address:  204.141.98.1

ariesorchids.com
        origin = asgard.ttsg.com
        mail addr = postmaster.asgard.ttsg.com
        serial = 1998050501
        refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
        retry   = 3600 (1 hour)
        expire  = 86400 (1 day)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1 day)
ariesorchids.com        nameserver = midgaard.ttsg.com
ariesorchids.com        nameserver = valhalla.stormking.com
ariesorchids.com        nameserver = frigg.ttsg.com
midgaard.ttsg.com       internet address = 165.254.99.107
valhalla.stormking.com  internet address = 204.141.98.1
frigg.ttsg.com  internet address = 209.51.161.86

> server ns1.new-york.net
Default Server:  ns1.new-york.net
Address:  165.254.2.51

> set type=soa
> ariesorchids.com.
Server:  ns1.new-york.net
Address:  165.254.2.51

Non-authoritative answer:
ariesorchids.com
        origin = asgard.ttsg.com
        mail addr = postmaster.asgard.ttsg.com
        serial = 1998050501
        refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
        retry   = 3600 (1 hour)
        expire  = 86400 (1 day)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1 day)

ariesorchids.com        nameserver = MIDGAARD.ttsg.com
ariesorchids.com        nameserver = VALHALLA.STORMKING.com
ariesorchids.com        nameserver = FRIGG.ttsg.com
MIDGAARD.ttsg.com       internet address = 165.254.99.107
VALHALLA.STORMKING.com  internet address = 204.141.98.1
FRIGG.ttsg.com  internet address = 209.51.161.86

	Notice the "Non-authoritative answer".  I think thats where
it all falls into place.

				Tuc/TTSG